Dengue fever has a myriad of conditions that accompany it, so that the patients experience a consortium of symptoms most of which persist for around seven days; however in certain cases, the fever may recur for two or three more days; everyone is affected in a contrasting manner by this sickness.
The mosquitoes Aedes Aegypti pick up the virus from previously infected humans (the primary host of the virus) and competently convey it during the phase in the development of dengue between the infection and the first appearance of the symptoms. Globally the causative mosquitoes reproduce in the tropical as well as sub-tropical weather conditions.
It is to be noted that dengue is not harmful in the beginning but if dengue fever symptoms are brushed aside or if infected by another serotype of virus or being afflicted with some other long-lasting disease, then the hazards of difficulties and intricacies intensify.
The trademark symptoms of dengue fever range from mild to severe.
– The majority experiences a certain amount of uneasiness and unpleasantness, with a desire to take a few days off from work.
– Unanticipated onset of fever ,which is of such a pattern that it appears breaks and then reappears.
– Intense impatience
– Severe headache specifically in the back of eyes
– Anorexia (loss of appetite)
– Sharp or bitter taste in the mouth suggestive of metal
– Diarrhea, vomiting and pain abdomen
– Trifle bleeding from nose and gums
– Rashes comparable to those of measles
– Swelling in glands
The four corresponding serotypes of dengue-causing virus are DEN-1, DEN-2, DEN-3, DEN-4. Recoup from infection by one of the serotypes furnishes whole life resistance against that specific serotype. Since cross-immunity to the three other serotypes after retrieval is incomplete and ephemeral, so in the wake of developing infections by other serotypes, the danger of developing caustic symptoms of dengue fever increases.
In case, dengue proceeds to the hazardous stage, the following clinical manifestations are seen:
– Uneasiness and exhaustion
– Collection of fluid in the chest as well as the cavity of abdomen
– Impaired functioning of the organs
– Sharp pain in the abdomen
– Disturbed respiratory pattern
– Speedy breathing
– Continuous vomiting
– Vomiting with blood in it
When there is mild affliction with dengue, any symptom of dengue fever could very well be managed at home and there is no need to hospitalize the patient. Even when hospitalization is undertaken, only supportive care in the form of
– Maintenance of body fluids
– Administration of Paracetamol to bring down the fever
– Platelet transfusions.
Pain-killers like aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs should be avoided because they tend to decrease the total count of platelets which contributes to increase the hazard of bleeding.
Dengue fever symptoms will be readily controlled if the patient abstains from oily and spicy food and consumes such food that could be digested with comfort, such as boiled vegetables easily digested thin porridge prepared by cooking meal in water or milk, soup, apples, bananas, fresh fruit juices especially that of papaya.